Monday, December 17, 2007

A kindness never forgotten

When I first started writing, I joined the Melbourne Romance Writers Guild.
I had no clue about publishing.
I didn't know what a synopsis or a partial was.
All I knew was that I wanted to write a book.

So after plugging 'Melbourne' and 'Romance writing' into google, I came up with MRWG, contacted them and traipsed off to my first meeting feeling like an absolute fraud. And very nervous. It was like my first day at school all over again.
I wouldn't know anyone.
I knew next to nothing about the main reason I was attending.

At this first meeting, I sat next to a lady who made me very welcome. She chatted to me, she encouraged me and as I couldn't help but stare at her arthritic-riddled hands and wonder how she penned so many novellas, I admired her.
This lady was Joan Hunt, who has just passed away.
I've never forgotten her kindness to me when I took the first step along my road to publication.
RIP Joan.
And as a fellow MRWG member said, "may you write in peace, every author's dream."

4 comments:

Margaret Mayo said...

Nicola, you remind me of when I first started writing. I had half a book written and didn't know how good it was, or what to do with it. I ultimately found out that there were such things as Writers Circles and joined my local one. I was fortunate that the lady who ran it was a Mills & Boon writer - Norrey Ford (not sure whether anyone remembers her name because it was a long long time ago and she's no longer alive) But she took me under her wing - and here I am, still writing, still thankful to her for setting me on the right road.

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

That's a great story, Margaret.
And yes, our start sounds very similar.
Inspires me to write another post...

Anonymous said...

Losing Joan was a huge shock, and we're all very sad about her passing.
Elvina from the MRWG read a wonderful eulogy at the funeral. January's meeting is going to be very different without her.

Love Ebs

Serena said...

Hi Nic,
Yes, Joan was a real lady. Gracious, generous and knowledgeable. It was a huge shock to all of us to learn of her passing. She will be sadly missed. I will miss her funny little laugh.

Hugs
Serena