Friday, April 24, 2009

'Those titles'.

A snippet of a recent review got me thinking about titles.

"As a reader, I tend to cringe when I see titles such as The Billionaire's Baby. I like series romances, but in recent years I've been reading them in spite of their titles, not because of them. Still, that being said, once I got past the ridiculous title, I found a mostly entertaining and heartwarming story."

When I give talks, one of the things I mention is the fact authors don't usually choose their own titles or covers and people are surprised.

Harlequin Mills and Boon titles are chosen with the hook of the book in mind.
So that a reader knows at a glance what the book is about.
The marketing department are highly skilled at their job and know what sells so next time you see a title with too many hooks, don't be put off. Bet the story between the pages is fabulous!

2 comments:

Lacey Devlin said...

That's interesting. The title's have never put me off but I have noticed how they've changed over the years and that now a lot of them seem similiar within a line particularly for Presents. I actually use the title as a way of selecting books, because sometimes it actually tells you more about a story than the blurb. The author's name holds more sway for me than the title (which is just how it should be :) )

Anonymous said...

I do think the titles are funny sometimes, but before I caught with a second reading of your blog posting, I was going to put that the thing with the titles is you know exactly what the book is very basically about, without looking at the blurb for a bit more. I'm just more amazed on how they aren't repeated more often or something! :)

Lois