Saturday, November 13, 2010

Weekend Book Club: Theodore Boone

Doing things a little differently today.

I'm not reviewing this book, though I did read it last week (if anyone has read it, please feel free to share opinions.)

What I find interesting is the number of well known authors who are hopping on the YA bandwagon.
Yes, YA is hot at the moment.
Yes, YA is selling and selling well.
Yes, it makes sense for the author and publisher alike to make the most of a hot trend and get their big name authors out there in another subgenre. Money talks.

While big name authors are on bestselling lists for a reason, I don't think everyone can write with a convincing YA voice.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

Elissa Graham said...

Well I write for what the American market call middle grade - the 8-12 age bracket and my voice in that is very different to what I write when I'm writing romance. And even in that my voice changes depending on the sub genre of romance I'm writing.

So while it's possible for writers for John Grisham to write YA, it's not something I would buy because it's not what I associate him with. Which is probably doing him a disservice - I mean look at all those singers who have crossed over to film and vice versa (some are awful and some are surprisingly good).

What I'm trying to say, in my own rambling sort of way, is that while it's possible I'd have to say I'd view books like the one pictured with a healthy dose of scepticism. I'd buy it if it reviewed well by someone I trust.

Lacey Devlin said...

I've come across some shockers and I've noticed that even the celebrities are hopping on board!

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

That's a really interesting point, Elissa, I hadn't thought of; because it's a new genre, something you don't associate with the author, you wouldn't try it.

As for the scepticism, you and me both!

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Yes, I've seen that too, Lacey.

Hmmm....