Saturday, September 04, 2010

Weekend Book Club: Maximum Ride, The Angel Experiment

James Patterson recently topped a list of the top 10 highest author earners.
He's sold an estimated 170 million books worldwide and the only author to have #1 new titles simultaneously on The New York Times adult and children's lists.
Incredibly, I think I've only read one James Patterson novel many moons ago.
MAXIMUM RIDE: THE ANGEL EXPERIMENT was my second and I'm hooked!
James' foray into YA, the story is an absolute page turner.
Here's the blurb:
WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE.
Do not put this book down. I'm dead serious - your life could depend on it. I'm risking everything by telling you - but you need to know.

STRAP YOURSELF IN for the thrill ride you'll want to take again and again! From Death Valley, California, to the bowels of the New York City subway system, you're about to take off on a heart-stopping adventure that will blow you away...

YOUR FAITHFUL COMPANIONS: Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, the Gasman, and Angel. Six kids who are pretty normal in most ways - except that they're 98 percent human, 2 percent bird. They grew up in a lab, living like rats in cages, but now they're free. Aside, of course, from the fact that they're prime prey for Erasers - wicked wolflike creatures with a taste for flying humans.

THE MISSIONS: Rescue Angel from malicious mutants. Infiltrate a secret facility to track down the flock's missing parents. Scavenge for sustenance. Get revenge on an evil traitor. And save the world. If there's time.
Love the protagonist Max and her 'flock'. Love the non-stop action. And love the many questions raised which leave you hanging for the next installment.
Note to self: must glom Mr. Patterson.
What are your reading this week?

4 comments:

Jill said...

Oh boy, what am I not reading? It's a very strange mix this weekend.
"Christmas Wishes, Mistletoe Kisses" by Fiona Harper. I am way behind on my Harlequin Romance reading!
"The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz, a literary novel about a Dominican family in the US, in New Jersey to be specific. So not my usual thing, but I had read the author's short stories and enjoyed his funny and strange writing voice.
and I'm starting "Soulless" by Gail Carringer, very funny and tongue in cheek so far.
I really shouldn't be reading any of it b/c I've got my own writing to get done ;-) I'm not pubbed, but I'm giving myself a deadline this weekend. Otherwise I'll just daydream and never submit!

Lois said...

Well, it's the weekend. . . and you know what that means. . . historical time! LOL Just the way it worked out again -- anyway, finally reading Sleepless in Scotland by Karen Hawkins. Finally because I've only had it on the pile for since it came out, which was a while ago. LOL

Lois

Oh, and been wondering -- does James Patterson actually write any books by himself anymore, or are they all a shared byline thingy? Probably a rhetorical question. :)

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Wow Jill, you're busy reading this weekend!

Have heard lots about Gail Carringer. Haven't read her yet...another to add to the must-read list!

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

While I'm not an historical fan, Lois, I envy your TBR pile. Always big name authors I've heard of but never read.

Must admit, I don't know enough about James' writing schedule to comment on your 'tongue in cheek' comment :)
Loads of authors are prolific, Nora Roberts is another.

I think the more you write, the faster you get.

That's my theory anyway :)