Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Enforced distance

Once a book is sold, there's usually several months of enforced distance, where you've moved onto writing a new book or taking a breather or whatever.

Then the proof edits land and you need to go over it again with a critical eye, picking up any mistakes, typos, etc...

I did this last night for GIRL IN A VINTAGE DRESS (hence the Rob Lowe pic. He inspired the hero Chase Etheridge. Not gratuitous posting of hot guy pic at all!)


I always find it amazing what a little distance from a story can do. Blatant word repetition or phrasing a few sentences apart or words that just don't fit.

And while this book had quite a few changes I picked up (including a head hopping scene for a paragraph, something I didn't write in the original) overall I loved Chase and Lola as much as I did when writing them.

Their resolution scene is one of the most honest and heart-string-tugging I've ever written, I loved it!

Come July, I hope you do too.

2 comments:

Lacey Devlin said...

The resolution scenes are my favorite. I read them again and again. I think I have a problem...

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Yeah, you're addicted to HEA :)