Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11

This date will be etched in our memory banks forever.
A terribly sad day where so many innocent lives were lost and the world realised the extent of what terrorism truly means.

For me, I was due to fly out to LA a week after this event and the uncertainty of whether or not the flights would reopen in time, what would happen at LAX and would flying ever be the same again was a constant niggle. As it turned out, I was on one of the first flights allowed out of Australia to the US and apart from lengthy delays at Melbourne Airport where every hangbag and handluggage was emptied and searched thoroughly, my trip went off without a hitch.

I think what struck me the most was the way people were getting on with their lives, not letting fear take a hold and I admired the way airport security at Melbourne, LAX and Vancouver went about their tough jobs with professionalism.

For those who lost loved ones on this day, my heartfelt sympathies to you all.

2 comments:

Susan Rix said...

Nicola, I can't imagine what it must've been like flying to the US (or anywhere for that matter) so soon after 9/11.

I have so much respect and admiration for everybody's refusal to let the fear stop them getting on with their lives.

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Sue,
That's the thing that struck me the most, that everyone was getting on with their lives and not letting something so devastating stop them.
I watched a TV show "Path to 9/11" the last 2 nights and when those planes hit the towers, I cried all over again.
Truly devastating...