Sunday, August 06, 2006

Holding out for a hero.

Last night was one of the first in a long, long time where I didn't turn on the computer. Instead, I flipped through old magazines chopping out potential heroines and heroes, settings and interiors. I love doing that sort of stuff but don't usually have the time.
Mind you, my collection is growing but I haven't yet made a collage (the brilliant Barbara Hannay is doing a workshop on collages at next week's RWAust. conference and I know for a fact several other authors including Jennifer Crusie and Susan Wiggs use them too.)
Seeing all those gorgeous, colourful pictures was inspiring and once I get back from the conference, I might have a go at one.


As for heroes, my next Romance has been given the go-ahead by my editor on Friday so I really needed an appropriate hero for this one. It's my first sheikh! And I'm travelling to Dubai to do some first-hand research (or as my lovely editor put it, I'm off on a sheikh hunt!!) so I wanted a strong, powerful man to encapsulate everything I see for Sam (short for Samman.)

Flicking through my hero folder, I found him straight away. He had the look down-pat and I'm thrilled to introduce him (Sam is none other than Rodrigo Santaro and he'll be featured in a Pink Heart Society blog soon too!)

Isn't he amazing?

6 comments:

2paw said...

I've become a little more enamoured of Sheikhs lately. He is a fine figure of a sheikh!!! Happy hunting!!!

Liz Fielding said...

Oh, very nice, Nic, and welcome to the "sheikh" club!

I don't collage but I do stick photographs and bits and pieces all over my white board (a writer can never have too many fridge magnets!)

And sigh, on going to Dubai. My research consisted of a talk about Islamic gardens by Penelope Hobhouse!

Fiona Harper said...

Nic, that is a gorgeous hunk of manhood you've got pictured there! Permission to drool, please?

Ally Blake said...

Looooovely! And I can't believe you've written a prince and now a shiekh. You have an amazing range my friend. And you are making me beyond itch to read about them all!!!

Esp this one... yum...

Ally

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Ladies, you all have exquisite taste in joining me to drool over 'Sam' :)

I have a friend who put me onto him and she's chasing up more info as we speak. I promise to share!!!

As for tackling my first sheikh, I'm very excited about it. I never thought I'd write one but suddenly, he popped into my head and the story flowed quickly from there.

Hmm...the more I look at that picture, the more fun I think I'm going to have with this one. Hope you'll be with me every step of the way, just to make sure I stay on the straight and narrow, of course!

Fiona Lowe said...

A Sheik! Whacko! Sounds great. And the picture aint half bad either:-)