Saturday, November 05, 2011

WEEKEND BOOK CLUB: Shadow Kin


I've known M.J. Scott since I started writing and was thrilled when she sold Shadow Kin.

The fact this is a debut novel blew me away because it reads like a veteran fantasy author's novel.

Absolutely loved it!

Here's the blurb:

On one side, the Night World, rules by the Blood Lords and the Beast Kind. On the other, the elusive Fae and the humans, protected by their steadfast mages...


Born a wraith, Lily is a shadow who slips between worlds. Brought up by a Blood Lord and raised to be his assassin, she is little more than a slave. But when Lily meets her match in target Simon DuCaine, the unlikely bond that develops between them threatens to disrupt an already stretched peace in a city on the verge of being torn apart...

Sensational debut.


The fantasy world created is addictive, with Fae, vampires, beasts, Templars, sunmages and humans interwoven against a backdrop of intriguing politics and double dealings.

I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to discover how Lily and Simon would deal with their increasing obstacles (and loved the heat generated between them!)

I lost sleep trying to finish this book quickly and I don't say that very often.

Excellent read.

What are you reading this weekend?

11 comments:

Kerrin said...

hehe, your ARC! Fab!!

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

That's a good answer, lol :)

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

And I'm kinda hanging on that one little word you tacked on the end...'fab'...

Am so nervy about this book!

Jill said...

I'm reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay for my book club. Not my usual fare, but it is very well written and fast paced and I joined the book club in the first place so I would read books out of my comfort zone.
Not for the faint of heart though. Lots of children in danger and horrible thing happening to children. Not fun to read for me to read with a toddler around and another child on the way. Not for anyone sensitive to children in danger stories. I felt like I was going to have nightmares and I still couldn't put it down. That's how good it is.
Definitely reading a category romance after this.

Lois said...

Finishing up The 4 Percent Universe, a book about how they (this year's Physics noble prize winners, as a matter of fact!), discovered how the universe's expansion is actually accelerating, and the dark energy behind it, but some of how dark matter came to be also. :) Up next might be the Observer's Guide to the Sun I just got. Because I really love looking at those sunspots move every day! :)

Lois

Lois said...

Oh, and will preorder/order (whichever comes first for me) Busted from amazon as soon as I can... definitely after the paperback for me! :)

Lois

Lacey Devlin said...

Shadow Kin sounds great! Thanks for the recommendation.

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Jill, awful things happening to kids wouldn't be my kind of read, but must be riveting if you wanted to put it down but couldn't!!

Yes, a nice fun category read sounds perfect next up!

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

I love your scientific reads, Lois, interspersed with romance :)

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Pre-ordering Busted in Bollywood paperback is probably the cheapest option, Lois.

Check out Book Depository for AU$13 or B&N for AU$10, for trade paperback!

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

You're welcome, Lacey, I loved it!